The Short Stack: April Favorites

The Short Stack: April Favorites

Hahaha, who would have thought that I’d be incredibly busy this month and have no time to read?

Probably almost anyone, honestly. April was my last full month at the iSchool. It was a month full of new discoveries, like that it is possible to have both a cold and allergies at the same time and that you will feel like dying. I also celebrated a birthday, so I am wiser and clearly know what I am talking about now.

So, in this particular order, let’s talk about the one book I read, the very first Austin Independent Bookstore Crawl and also where you can find me after this!

The Shortest Stack:

1. Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz

If you’re not a Hamilfan, turn back now. This young adult novel about Elizabeth Schuyler meeting and falling in love with Alexander Hamilton is just what I needed this month. Eliza is given more character than she has in the musical; instead of being entirely lovesick, she goes to Morristown to help her aunt vaccinate Washington’s troops against small pox, where she is reunited with Alexander (they met earlier) and begin courting. While this is obviously a fictionalized account, I really enjoy books where women are allowed to think about things other than men. Even if they do eventually get married (spoiler!). Pay attention to chapter titles.

April 29th was Independent Bookstore Day across the country and part of the celebration was Austin’s first Independent Bookstore Crawl. Participants completed scavenger hunt challenges at up to fourteen independent bookstores across Austin and posted pictures on social media to prove it.  I didn’t do the complete crawl because I should have been doing almost anything else, but I visited BookPeople, Malvern Books, Dragon’s Lair Comics and Fantasy, BookWoman, Half Price Books on North Lamar and Balcones Books.

If you want to read about my Austin Bookstore Crawl, please head over to my website at AlexBooksIt.Com! It will be home to all of my future book reviews, plus whatever book-related news/events I feel like talking about. It also has all of my old Short Stack posts, if you’d like to revisit some of them.

Either way, this is the end of the end of the Short Stack as we know it. Goodbye, InfoPortal. Goodbye, iSchool. Hello, AlexBooksIt.Com! I hope you’ll join me.

Alex Peterson
Follow Alex on Goodreads
Alex is a second year iSchool graduate student focusing on library studies. She was one of the 2016 co-directors for the ALA/TLA Student Chapter at UT. When she's not reading, she might be knitting or playing a Geeks Who Drink pub quiz. Her best friend is her dog, Dwight, but her husband is okay too.

Alex Peterson

Share your thoughts...

Close Menu